The beauty of choosing a Marquee for your event, festival, storage, wedding, party etc… is the flexibility to tailor it exactly how you need it, and of the biggest decisions is determining the right size you need.
As you’re reading this you may have scanned through multiple different articles that have various size guides determining what capacity of people can hold different size marquees, or even some with calculations and equations to get the right size, who knew you needed a maths degree to plan an event?
In our experience, the size of each Marquee should be completely tailored to your individual event, and this is where we come in. Instead of sweating your brain, it’s best to get on the phone and have a conversation around what you need for your event, and this is the key, discussing what you need. In this guide, we’re going to help you cover everything you may need, some you may have considered for your event and others not.
This way when you get in touch to discuss what size Marquee you need, you’ll feel confident and well prepared.
Marquee Size Factors For Any Event
There are some considerations with a Marquee that should be accounted for with any event:
Maximum Potential Guest Size
The most obvious of course, this can be very fluid, especially for events, for parties and weddings you will have a clear idea of your guest size. It’s always best to add an additional 10% buffer on top of this to give you some flexibility and to factor in unknown variables as well.
For events, this is dependent on the purpose of the Marquee within it, you will likely have dynamic footfall flowing in and out so consider what you want the maximum occupancy to be at any given time or what your anticipated total event threshold is.
Tables & Furniture
Arguably the second biggest factor, your furniture may be needed for guests to dine or for more display purposes and a multitude of other factors.
It’s worth having a plan of a rough layout in mind that you’ll need for either a square or rectangular based Marquee depending which way you want it. Account for plenty of passing space around each piece of furniture. You can see the selection of furniture we have available here and we can work with you to find the perfect layout and combination that accommodates both the size and guests required.
With the furniture here are some useful areas to consider:
- Do you want round, rectangular or picnic style tables?
- What type of chair would you like to use with these?
- How many people do you need to comfortably accommodate for?
- Are there any break out areas needed to relax with sofas etc…?
- Are there any ‘nice to have’ touches like balustrade or poseur tables?
Generators & Power
A lot of events need power as a necessity, we have generators available to supply but they’re a consideration to factor in as you will need space for them. This isn’t necessarily within the Marquee that the space is needed, it’s a factor to consider surrounding the Marquee that you’ll need some extra space to place one so you don’t go powerless!
The bigger the Marquee the more it will cost (in general that is), it can be a forgotten variable at the discussion phase until the quote comes through, it’s so crucial to factor in from the outset though.
Sometimes it can be that you need to reconsider what capacity or guest size is actually realistic proportionate to the size of the Marquee you need, we’ll always collaborate with you to strike the balance between these to get the most value in space for your event whilst ensuring you have the right Marquee to blow everyone away.
Additional Functional Space Needed
Functional space can be a number of elements, it could be any of the following:
- A first aid area for big events
- A cloakroom for guests
- An entrance and waiting area
- A separate area for the all important bar
- A catering tent
- An area for toilets
- Any outside areas needed
Factors To Consider For Corporate Events, Shows & Festivals
Marquees are ideal for Corporate Events if you need a stand for an event to showcase your business these can be some crucial factors to bear in mind:
- How much space do you need to showcase your stand with it’s promotional material?
- Do you need multiple tents for a multitude of different purposes?
- Are there any space restrictions with where the Marquee needs to go?
- Does the event have a maximum occupancy for safety?
- Is there a specific stage size needed for the Marquee to cover?
- How many entrances and exits do you need?
- Does the Marquee need to accommodate any props or sets?
- How much space is needed for any professional equipment, lighting, stage set up?
Factors To Consider For Temporary Storage & Warehousing
Our robust storage Marquees can give you that additional storage or workspace required urgently, these can be essential to factor in:
- Will racking be needed to go within the tent to a certain height?
- Are specific workspace areas required?
- Is there a specific volume of stock required to go in?
- Do you need multiple roller shutter doors in place?
- Are there restrictions on the premises as to the size of the structure?
- Does the structure need to be placed a certain distance away from other buildings?
- Is there a capacity for how many people will be working in the space?
- Is certain clearance needed for vehicles to be used within it or stored?
Factors To Consider For Weddings, Birthdays & Parties
Marquees are well known for their use with wedding and parties, have you also factored these elements in:
- Space needed for any decorative furnishings?
- Are there any sweet carts going in?
- Is space needed for a dancefloor?
- Space for a DJ or musician?
- Space for any props if the event is themed?
- Space for a head table at the wedding?
It’s likely we will only have covered the key considerations for what you want to go into the Marquee, but we hope we’ve brought up a couple that you may not have thought of. If you have a good idea of what you want then it's probably a good time to get in touch with us here or give us a call on 01482 348700 and we can help get the perfect size Marquee for your event.